Would this be fertilizer poisoning, or is this something like recurring HGE? Many cases of fertilizer poisoning involve hospitalization, particularly if the poisoning is extensive. Some even contain corn or corn cobs as a filler. Do not allow your pet on the lawn after treatment until all traces of any gardening product are gone. Serious complications can become evident if your pet has ingested a large amount. My rescue male Great Dane + Mastiff mix tore a bag of organic fertilizer open. I just need a treatment to help with his tummy ache. I’m very worried, do you have advice? If you think your dog or cat was exposed to fertilizer, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations. from application/x-indesign to application/pdf Quite often, the fertilizers that we use are mixed with substances that are more harmful than the fertilizers themselves. PDF/X-1:2001 They will be able to look at the type of fertilizer, see what might be the best treatment, and help so that your dog feels better. Other treatment steps c… Today, I took my dog to a park so we can play some fetch. I've contacted the complex to see what kind of fertilizer they're using, but this isn't the first time she's had these symptoms. Fertilizer ingestion is common with small animals, reports the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. As dog parents, it is quite possible that you have to deal with poisoning in your dog. Treatment will vary depending on factors such as the type of fertilizer exposure or ingestion, how much of the product was eaten, and how long the fertilizer was on the skin. endstream endobj 6 0 obj <> endobj 3 0 obj <> endobj 8 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 9 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 10 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 11 0 obj <>/ExtGState<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/TrimBox[0.0 0.0 585.0 783.0]/Type/Page>> endobj 69 0 obj <>stream Other treatment steps could include medication to increase urine output and bowel movements, gastroprotectants for stomach issues, poison absorbents, and topical medicines for skin irritation. We’ve been giving him a lot of water aswell. Can she get poisoning from just getting it on her paws or sniffing the ground. The main therapy involves supportive means to stabilize your dog and control his breathing and heart rate. • Calcium cyanamide can cause skin irritation and ulceration. Aside from the accidental ingestion of a product that the pet finds palatable, chewing on treated grass or licking the fur and feet after a dermal exposure can cause poisonous effects. Common signs to watch for: He must have ate some.. because he threw up and has been having diarrhea. For example: Treatment will vary depending on factors such as the type of fertilizer exposure or ingestion, how much of the product was eaten, and how long the fertilizer was on the skin. I hope that she was able to see a veterinarian if needed. Get Your Dog Away From The Poison. *Wag! If ingested directly from the bag, the results can include tremors and seizures. Before you can give any first aid treatment for dog poisoning, you need to determine what your dog has ingested. He said that it detoxifies the liver and can be administered even if you are not sure about the ingestion. Are you able to take a picture of the bag or container? Call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 if your dog infests lawn fertilizer regardless if it's "pet-friendly." In the future, especially if your dog has palatability for fertilizer or a curious nature, be certain to store all garden and household products out of reach. Whilst playing, I noticed that fertilizer is spread on grass. The milk will mix with chlorine avoiding so … ��㆑�Ep�ڗ�v��wcf��^g��;W�����:O��O���������!�ȵ��o%�W��:�. Take care. The accidental ingestion of fertilizer by your dog means that they have eaten a product that can possibly contain harmful substances (herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides) in addition to the compounds (phosphorous, iron, nitrogen) which are toxic when consumed in large amounts. 1 The animal could be taken care of for kidney failure there is not any treatment, in basic terms supportive care. broken kidneys are continuously. A second exposure may result in a longer treatment process, with less than favorable results for your furry buddy. We're taking her to the vet regardless, but I want to make sure I'm having them look at everything. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. On the advice of my veterinarian, I gave him 2 tsp. A dog can be exposed to fertilizer by simply walking across a lawn that has been treated. If not, it would be best for her to see your vet as she may need steroids. I will wash his paws when he comes in. I apologize for the delay, this platform is not set up for urgent emails. If you suspect that your dog has eaten fertilizer, or if you have recently used the product in your garden and your little pal is acting ill, take them to the clinic right away. If your dog eats some grass that had fertilizer applied to it, it rarely leads to serious poisoning; that said, more serious signs can be seen when the product is directly ingested (i.e., right out of the bag). I didn't think it would be an issue as it was old so I am not sure if it will actually fertilize my tree. A healthy and safe canine companion is more important than a pristine and perfect lawn. We live next to an apartment building, and they must have spread granular fertilizer last night because it smelled strongly when I took my dogs out. Thank you for your question. Organic fertilizers that contain bone meal can cause stone-like obstructions. Highly toxic insecticides used on cats and dogs to kill fleas are poisoning rivers across England, a study has revealed. Canine patients can recover quite well from a fertilizer poisoning; if the effects and secondary complications were extensive, more recovery time may be needed. Do Not Panic. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!. I think he ate a couple balls of fertilizer. Like overnight she seems more mushy and has yellowish poop . xmp.did:4BCEA52F0A07E611B2B791B1442139DA v!-7���~� Always keep the original packaging on hand in case of accidental exposure. Treatment for fertilizer poisoning in the case of additional herbicides and pesticides will vary due to the product. If your dog has a poisonous substance on his fur or skin, bathe him thoroughly.